If you are thinking about installing a garage door opening, then you are serious about ensuring safety of your home and providing secure access. When you surf the internet or explore the market, you will come across different types of garage door opener that suit your unique needs. When it comes to determining the right garage door opener for your garage, then you need to take certain factors into consideration.
Currently, there are four different types of drive system available for garage door openers, and they include:
• Belt drive garage door opener system which is one of the most popular drive types ensures quiet operation and is strong enough to lift even the heavy doors.
• Screw drive system works on lifting mechanism. It is more powerful and requires less maintenance.
• Chain drive system makes use of a metal chain for lifting the garage door up and down. It is the most common and least expensive unit.
• The computer controlled drive does not use any chain or screw and is appropriate for garages with limited headroom.
You should choose the door opener that includes a motor which is efficient enough to deliver required power for lifting the door. For garage with double doors, you can opt for the motor with ½ HP. It is also important to opt for the unit that facilitates smooth starting and stopping to ensure quiet operation. The high-end models are capable of operating more quickly so that you need not have to wait for a long time in the driveway.
Safety And Security:
• As per federal law, the garage door openers must be designed in such a way that it should not crush any object in its path. Electronic beams are used to control this in most cases. If any object or person breaks this beam, the safety mechanism will be triggered and makes the door operate in the reverse direction.
• The computer controlled system is used for monitoring the operational speed of the door and compensate charging condition.
• The garage door openers use rolling codes for ensuring utmost security. Whenever the door is opened, it generates a random code. This would be helpful for preventing the theft.
• All the models come with a manual release which lets you open the door in case of power cut. Even high-end openers include the feature of opening the door high enough to let your pets get out.
• The openers also feature a security light that gets on automatically when you activate the system and remains on until you get out of your vehicle and enter your house.
Remote Control And Keypads:
You will find garage door openers that make use of a single button remote whereas others come with two or more buttons for controlling multiple openers. The later options are highly useful when there are two or more garage bays. You can also mount the keypads near the door so that you can open the garage door without using remote.
When you purchase a garage door opener after considering all these aspects, you will be able to choose the right opener for your garage door.